Tips for submitting the invention disclosure
- Go to submit disclosure form. Write the necessary information about title, summary, inventors, background of the invention and planned publication and answer to questions 1 to 10 as well as you can.
- Note that if you do not know all the answers when filing, you may complement the disclosure later when discussing with the innovation advisor. The discussions with Innovation Services staff as well as the submitted invention disclosure forms are confidential.
- It is crucial to keep the invention secret and confidential until it has been evaluated by the innovation services.
- Background of invention. In the form the invention should be marked in the right category, which are based on law. If you hesitate in which category your invention belongs to, please contact to innovation coordinator before submitting disclosure form. The categories of background are:
- Open research – Invention made by Aalto academic staff, without a funding decision from or an agreement with an external entity.
- Collaborative research – Invention made by Aalto academic staff in projects, which has a funding decision from, or an agreement with an external entity, such as companies, Tekes, Finnish Academy, EU.
- None of the above situation – Invention made by student or Aalto non-academic staff.
- Innovation Services assesses both technical and commercial potential, patentability and team’s capabilities which all are needed for proceeding to commercialization. This assessment takes typically 1 – 2 months.
- Should you require further instructions regarding the completion of the form, or its processing at the University, please contact our staff.