If you come up with something you think may be an original invention, please be in contact with Innovation Services.
If you have made an invention and are an Aalto employee or student, please submit an invention disclosure without delay. Innovation Services evaluates the invention. It is crucial to keep the invention secret and confidential after submission.
Tips for submitting the invention disclosure
- Fill in an invention disclosure form using the link above. Add the necessary information about title, summary, inventors, background of the invention and planned publication.
- Note that if you do not know all the answers when filing, you may save the disclosure in a draft version and supplement it later when discussing it with the innovation advisor. Discussions with Innovation Services staff as well as the submitted invention disclosure forms are confidential.
- It is crucial to keep the invention secret and confidential.
- Background of invention
- In the form, inventions should be put in the right categories, as these are based on law. If you are uncertain about which category your invention belongs to, please contact the innovation coordinator before submitting the disclosure form. The categories in the Background section are:
- Open research – Invention made by Aalto academic staff without a funding decision from, or an agreement with, an external entity.
- Collaborative research – Invention made by Aalto academic staff in a project with a funding decision from, or an agreement with, an external entity, such as a company, Business Finland, the Academy of Finland or the EU.
- None of the above situations – Invention made by student or Aalto non-academic staff.
- Innovation Services assesses both the technical and the commercial potential, patentability and the team’s capabilities, all of which are needed for proceeding to commercialisation. This assessment takes typically 1 – 2 months.
- For the processing of the invention disclosures, Innovation Services uses Aalto’s Dynamics CRM system. Please see our Privacy Notice.
- Should you require further instructions regarding the completion of the form or its processing at the university, please contact us.